-->

Sport Book Service | The Open 2018: Rory McIlroy desperate to get back to carefree teen who lit up Carnoustie in 2007 but without the hair

 Rory McIlroy was a puppy-fat teen with wild hair when he burst onto the scene in 2007

RORY McILROY is desperate to feel like the teenager who lit up Carnoustie in 2007 - but without the dodgy hair.

The four-time Major winner was just 18 and with the world at his feet when he won the Silver Medal for low amateur 11 years ago.

Rory McIlroy was a puppy-fat teen with wild hair when he burst onto the scene in 2007Credit: The Sun

He returns to the Angus links this week about 40million better off and needing to win the Masters to complete the career grand slam.

But without one of the game's top prizes since he won the US PGA in August 2014, he wants to recapture that childlike innocence he had when bursting onto the scene.

McIlroy, a fitness fanatic who looks almost unrecognisable compared with his teenage self, said: "I need to get back to that attitude where I play carefree and just happy to be here.

"It was my first Open Championship. I was just trying to soak everything in, and I was just so grateful to be here.

Golf star Rory McIlroy shows off his football skills in new Instagram video
Rory McIlroy now strides up the fairway with a tidier haircut and a six packCredit: Dave Pinegar/The Sun

Great leg workout to start the day! #betterneverstops

A post shared by RORY (@rorymcilroy) on

"A golf tournament is where I feel the most comfortable. It's where I feel like I can 100 percent be myself and express myself.
"I look back at those pictures, and the more I can be like that kid, the better.

"As you get a little older, you get a little more cautious in life. There is something nice about being young and being oblivious to some stuff.

"I remember back to when we last played The Open here, and, again, look, I was just happy to be here. I was bouncing down the fairways, didn't care if I shot 82 or 62. I was just happy to be here.

Rory McIlroy apologises to woman after he accidentaly hits her with a golf ball at BMW Championships Wentworth
The Northerin Irishman finished as low amateur when the Open was at Carnoustie in 2007

Evening lifting session with my new @niketraining #metcon shoes

A post shared by RORY (@rorymcilroy) on

"The more I can get into that mindset, the better I'll play golf."

A win this week would give McIlroy, 29, his second Claret Jug after he won at Hoylake in 2014.

And while he wants the carefree attitude of his youth, he won't be bringing back the wild hair.

He added: "I probably could [have that hair again]. I don't want to though. A few more greys in it these days!

"When I looked at in the mirror back then, I didn't think it was as big as it was. But we live and learn."

LihatTutupKomentar