-->

Sport Book Service | Matt Fitzpatrick wants to get over his Ryder Cup-itis as the youngest player in Darren Clarkes Europe team targets Italian Open victory

 Fitzpatrick is keento settle down after a blip following his Ryder Cup selection

MATT FITZPATRICK wants to get over his bout of Ryder Cup-itis by challenging for victory at the Italian Open.

The Englishman, at 21 the youngest member of Darren Clarkes Europe team, admitted his game deserted him as the pressure built to claim a place in the side.

Fitzpatrick is keento settle down after a blip following his Ryder Cup selectionCredit: Getty Images
Ryder Cup skipper Darren Clarke is showing faith in youngsterFitzpatrickCredit: Sportsfile

He eventually limped over the line in ninth after finishing fifth at the Czech Masters three weeks ago, and is raring to go again after getting that huge monkey off his back.

Fitzpatrick finished third in this event last year, paving the way for his breakthrough victory in the British Masters a few weeks later.

He said: Someone described my ups and downs as a bit like Ryder Cup-itis and I wouldnt argue with that.

But since that fifth in the Czech Masters Ive been able to relax a bit and I feel refreshed.

Matt Fitzpatrick is targeting the Italian Open to get his form back on trackCredit: Getty Images
Fitzpatrick is confident he will be in more typical form by the time the Cup startsCredit: Getty Images

The whole year has been a bit of a mess if Im honest. I shouldnt have played Qatar, I shouldnt have played Malaysia and there were a few others later I probably should have taken off.

There are places Ive played this year where I wouldnt go again.

Ive set out my schedule for next year and Im sticking to where I want to go, rather than where I need to go to get points because its not Ryder Cup year.

Next year I will be playing a lot less and having more time to myself.

But I still want to finish the year strongly especially by doing well in the Ryder Cup and Im hoping that will start here in Milan.

I liked the course the first time I saw it and it seems a good fit for my game.

Its always good to come back to a place where youve played well in the past, so Im hoping for a big week.

Fellow Ryder Cup team members Danny Willett, Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer, Andy Sullivan, Chris Wood and Rafa Cabrera-Bello also tee it up in Milan as they chase Swede Rikard Karlbergs crown.

LihatTutupKomentar