-->

Sport Book Service | Kuchar apologises for stingy caddie fee and promises to pay full rate in future

 Matt Kuchar has performed a drastic U-turn after being slammed for a stingy payment to temporary caddie David 'El Tucan' Ortiz

Matt Kuchar has apologised and revealed he will make full payment to a temporary caddie he was criticised for under-paying.

The 40-year-old American was slammed on social media after it was revealed he paid David "El Tucan" Ortiz just 3,900 despite the fact he won more than 1million in prize money at the Mayakoba Golf Classic in Mexico.

Matt Kuchar has performed a drastic U-turn after being slammed for a stingy payment to temporary caddie David 'El Tucan' OrtizCredit: Getty Images - Getty
Matt Kuchar and David Ortiz celebrate during the Mayakoba Golf Classic where the golfer won more than 1million in prize moneyCredit: Getty Images - Getty

Caddies usually pocket around ten percent of their golfers winnings but Ortiz, who was a temporary stand in whilst Kuchar's regular side-kick John Wood was absent, received less than ONE PERCENT.

The 2016 Ryder Cup winner initially suggested his low payment was "not a story" and that he had actually paid Ortiz MORE than they had first agreed.

But after claiming he 'would not lose sleep' over the situation, Kuchar was reportedly heckled during the first round of the Genesis Open on Friday and has performed a drastic U-turn.

He said: "This week, I made comments that were out of touch and insensitive, making a bad situation worse.

Golfers stunned as two kangaroos FIGHT on fairway at World Super 6 Perth tournament

"They made it seem like I was marginalising David Ortiz and his financial situation, which was not my intention. I read them again and cringed.

"That is not who I am and not what I want to represent, in this situation, I have not lived up to those values or to the expectations I've set for myself.

"I let myself, my family, my partners and those close to me down, but I also let David down."

As well as apologising for his comments the golfer agreed to make an additional payment to Ortiz in line with the caddie's demands.

Matt Kuchar has apologised for his reaction to criticism over temporary caddie feeCredit: Getty Images - Getty

He added: "I plan to call David, something that is long overdue, to apologise for the situation he has been put in, and I have made sure he has received the full total that he has requested.

"I never wanted to bring any negativity to the Mayakoba Golf Classic.

"I feel it is my duty to represent the tournament well, so I am making a donation back to the event, to be distributed to the many philanthropic causes working to positively impact the communities of Playa del Carmen and Cancun.

"For my fans, as well as fans of the game, I want to apologise to you for not representing the values instilled in this incredible sport."

Matt Kuchar's regular caddie John Wood has leaped to the Americans defenceCredit: Getty Images - Getty

Despite the criticism aimed at his boss, Wood - Kuchar's regular caddie - has leaped to his defence on social media.

He said: "I don't understand the need to tear down a guy who has spent his career trying to uphold the game and himself to some pretty high standards.

"Nobody's perfect, all we can do when a mistake is made is reconsider, apologise and make amends.

"Matt, his entire family and team have never been anything but generous, inclusive, respectful and complimentary of me and the job I do for him. I wouldn't work for someone I didn't respect, or who didn't value my opinion.

"To crucify for one mistake feels wrong."

Hilarious moment Phil Mickelson goes to tip cap... only to realise he is wearing a woolly hat

LihatTutupKomentar