-->

Sport Book Service | Rory McIlroy reveals he will need regular medical checks because of heart irregularity

 Rory McIlroy has revealed he has a heart problem

RORY McILROY has revealed his secret heart scare and how he will now require routine medical check-ups for the foreseeable future.

The four-time major winner was first made aware of an irregularity with his heart after suffering a viral infection in China in 2016.

Rory McIlroy has revealed he has a heart problemCredit: Getty Images - Getty

The Northern Ireland golfer will return from four-month layoff from a rib injury when he takes to the field of the Abu Dhabi Championship on Thursday.

McIlroy said: The ribs fine, no problems whatsoever.

I had an MRI scan on my thoracic spine and all was OK.

But Ive got a bit of an irregularity with my heart that I have to keep on top of.

The golfer will have to have regular medical checks for the foreseeable futureCredit: Rex Features

I have a flat T-wave and Ill have to get an echo (cardiogram) on my heart every six months and an MRI scan every year.

I suffered a really bad viral infection in China 18 months ago and they told me thats the reason that I have this thickening of my left ventricle and theres a bit of scar tissue.

For now, I just need to stay on top of it and have to stay fit.

McIlroy, 28, is determined to return to the top of the world rankings by the end of 2018 and win at least one more major.

The Northern Irishman wants to be top of the world rankings and win at least one major in 2018Credit: AP:Associated Press

But he concedes it was the wrong decision to have played in the US Open last June where he missed the cut and he should have instead rested his inflamed rib at home.

McIlroy, who spent his honeymoon on a road trip through Italy, feels the enforced rest will only benefit his career.

He said: Its been 10 years that Ive been a pro and to me thats incredible.

"In January 2008, I was right here in Dubai, getting ready for my first full season on the European Tour, playing Abu Dhabi the next week, as I am now, and thats taken its toll.

McIlroy says the decision to rest will pay big benefitsCredit: Reuters

"I needed the reset that Ive just had. Lets just say that between now and when I signed off last year, I feel way more optimistic, focused, motivated, purposeful. I know exactly what I can do.

"I really needed these 3 months of just me and team and family.

"Mentally more than physically probably."

LihatTutupKomentar