-->

Sport Book Service | Sergio Garcia admits he was more nervous kicking a ball before El Clasico than winning the Masters

 Sergio Garcia kicked off El Clasico at the Bernabeu

SERGIO GARCIA was more nervous kicking off the Real Madrid-Barcelona clash than he was over his Masters-winning putt.

Garcia walked out at the Bernabeu in the famous Green Jacket to deafening applause, and had to fight back tears when the 90,000 fans began chanting his name.

Sergio Garcia kicked off El Clasico at the BernabeuCredit: Getty Images

He said: Ive done some special stuff already as Masters champion, but that has to be the coolest thing Ive done so far.

It is an incredible thing to be invited to kick off El Clasico and it was one of the most amazing experiences Ive had.

I was telling Rory McIlroy and some of the other guys that Ive been very fortunate to have amazing cheers, with 15-20,000 people chanting my name at Augusta and Ryder Cups.

And the support I get every year at The Open is just unbelievable.

But to walk out at what I think is the best football stadium in the world for El Clasico it was an unreal experience.

Sergio Ramos watches namesake Sergio Garcia show off his football skillsCredit: Getty Images

As a Real fan, it is probably the biggest match that exists in this world. I was so nervous even more than I was at Augusta, even though I was only kicking the ball 15 yards.

It was very unique and something that, along with many things that happened at Augusta, and since, that I will never forget.

Garcia, 37, shocked many by kicking off with his LEFT foot and revealed that as a footballer, that is his stronger side.

He is the owner and club president of his hometown side, third division Borriol FC.

After rescuing them from financial trouble, he played a few games when taking a break after becoming disillusioned with golf seven years ago.

Sergio Garcia revealed to Rory McIlroy what the pressure was likeCredit: Getty Images
Sergio Garcia said winning his first Major was not as nerve-wracking as hoofing one at the BernabeuCredit: Rex Features

He added: Im much better with my left foot and Im actually pretty close to being ambidextrous. I throw and catch with my left arm, but write and play tennis right-handed.

Of course Im right-handed at golf, although Ive played with left-handed clubs quite a few times, usually to give my dad a chance!

My best score playing left-handed is 39 for nine holes.

Garcia will revert to his orthodox playing style when he tees off in The Players today, bidding to improve on a super Sawgrass record.

He won in 2008 and has also been runner-up twice, as well as posting two other top-four finishes.

Garcia said: I tend to play this course well and Im hoping that, having finally won my first Major, the next time I am in contention for a big win it will seem a bit easier.

LihatTutupKomentar