-->

Sport Book Service | US Womens Open 2016: Winner Brittany Lang repeatedly called wrong name by USGA president

 Brittany Lang celebrates her US Open win before being called the wrong name

THE United States Golf Association suffered more humiliation last night when its president kept calling US Women's Open winner Brittany Lang by the wrong name.

Boss Diana Murphy referredto 'Bethany' Lang at least twice during the trophy presentation for her first Major.

This is not the first time Murphy has come under fire.

Some Twitter users suggested she was drunk during Dustin Johnson's US Open coronation last month and repeated that accusation last night.

It was on that final day at Oakmont that American Johnson overcame a rules farce on the 12th hole.

Brittany Lang celebrates her US Open win before being called the wrong nameCredit: Getty

Then he was told he may be penalised for moving his ball on the fifth green - but would not know for certain until his round had ended.

And the USGA were at the centre of another rules fiasco last night after they stepped in to tell runner-up Anna Nordqvist she would be penalising DURING the three-hole play-off at CordeValle in San Martin.

Swede Nordqvist was deemed to have touched sand with her club while playing a bunker shot on the second hole of extra-time.

A furious Nordqvist said: "I wish the USGA would have told me a little bit earlier. They approached me after I had already hit my third shot into 18.

"I don't know if it would have changed the outcome but it certainly would have changed my aggressiveness into the 18th pin."

Anna Nordqvist was penalised two shots after touching the sand with her clubCredit: USA Today

Murphy today issued a formal apologyto Lang after her gaffe.

She said: "I would like to apologise to the 2016 US Women's Open champion, Brittany Lang.

"During the prize presentation I mistakenly called her by the wrong name repeatedly.

"I have expressed my regret to Brittany personally and explained that in the heat of the moment, I became nervous and made these mistakes.

"I appreciate her understanding, and I am sorry that what I said may have taken away from a historic moment for a very deserving champion."

LihatTutupKomentar